Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) epic Avengers: Endgame has snapped box office records out of all existence.
With 11 years worth of MCU heritage behind it, Endgame lived up to its billing as one of the most gargantuan, exciting and emotional movie experiences in years.
Of course, we won't give away any spoilers here for those who haven't seen it. Suffice to say, our gargantuan crew of Avengers pick up where Infinity War left off, and attempt to undo the destruction wrought by Thanos (Josh Brolin).
While we can't discuss the story here, we can discuss the extraordinary level of success already attained by the movie. The film has opened to a galaxy-sized $1.2 billion at the global box office – here's what that means. (Figures via Box Office Mojo.)
- It's the biggest box office opening weekend of all time
- It's the fastest film ever to break the $1 billion barrier (it achieved this in just five days)
- The movie made a record $330.5 million in China after opening there on Wednesday, ahead of the USA.
- It's the biggest domestic opening weekend ever, blowing away the previous USA record of $258 million set by Infinity War
- It's also shattered Infinity War's worldwide opening weekend of $640 million
- Separated from the domestic grosses, the film's international opening takings of $859 million leave previous record holder The Fate of the Furious in the dust
- It's currently the 18th-largest worldwide release ever and the sixth-largest worldwide release in the MCU.
- The 22 films in the MCU have now grossed over $19.8 billion worldwide, of which nine have topped $1 billion at the global box office.
No doubt you're keen to top up the movie's success with a second or third viewing – or maybe your total number of views is about to hit double figures?
Either way, click here to book your tickets for Avengers: Endgame, and tweet us your reactions @Cineworld.